Las Vegas, in the state of Nevada, is a very business-friendly city. It has a high tourism potential, a growing population, and is one of the most business-friendly states in the U.S. Starting an organic food business, though a formidable proposition, can also be profitable. It has to be operated in accordance with state and federal regulation laws for food safety. Determine the type of food productsuch as canned food, baked or a refrigerated productto set up the specialized food processing equipment. An entrepreneur should have certain personal characteristic traits to establish a successful organic food business. He should have moderate risk-taking ability, high energy levels, confidence, a responsible attitude, strong organizational skills, flexibility and tolerance for uncertainty, dedication, and desire for hard work. With some intuition and a bit of luck, he or she will surely succeed in the venture.
Basics of Production:
Follow these basic steps to develop a quality new organic food product:
1. Idea stage. This is the visualization stage. The entire success of your venture will depend on the product you conceptualize for development. Determine what product will have repeat purchase to replace a similar competitive product. Consider your production technology, marketing skills, and consumer acceptance of the product, its shelf life, retail chain, and its uniqueness to attract consumers.
2. Development stage. The new product is created in this stage. Food scientists are needed to resolve the microbial contamination, light, rancidity and shelf life problems common to the development of food items.
3. Test panel stage. Experts use quality parameters to check color, texture, appearance and flavor at various stages of product formulation.
4. Consumer sampling stage. It is very important to give a free sample and get customer feedback of the product to determine the products commercial feasibility.
5. Shelf life stage. Prolonged shelf life study at a variety of temperatures and other environmental conditions by state-approved laboratories determine a products viability and commercial success.
6. Packaging stage. Packaging should not impart flavor or react chemically with the food. It should be lightweight, economical, tear-resistant, convenient, colorful, and attractive to attract customers.
7. Test marketing stage. Introduce the new product into a limited area of a metropolitan city with selected ethnic groups and income levels to evaluate its success before mass production.
8. Production stage. Set up the production line in total compliance with government regulations. Stringent quality control procedures ensure product safety and prevent economic loss due to deviations.
9. Food additives. Add permissible food additives to enhance and preserve the quality, flavor, color, and texture of food under various storage conditions. Do not use additives to disguise a faulty or damaged product.
10. Food processing. Refrigeration, freezing, pasteurization, canning, fermentation, concentration, irradiation, and dehydration are various means of food preservation.
Start your organic food business in Las Vegas by following federal regulations for equipment, registration, technical training, preserving and marketing the various types of organic food products. Though setting up can be a formidable experience, the venture can be very rewarding once it is up and running.
Alexander Gordon is a writer for http://www.smallbusinessconsulting.com – The Small Business Consulting Community. Sign-up for the free success steps newsletter and get our booklet valued at .95 for free as a special bonus. The newsletter provides daily strategies on starting and significantly growing a business.